Christmas

                        Jesus is the reason for the season

The saying is proclaimed often in the Christian communities around America. 
But do we really believe it?


It is so easy to get caught up in the decorations, the gifts, running hither and thither and trying not to slip on ice. 
Thanksgiving night we set up our Christmas tree. I usually love that occasion. This year? I was a grinch about it. 

It makes a mess.
Everyone is grouchy tonight anyway.
What's the point? We'll just take it down December 26.

I was convicted of my attitude and realized- Joy isn't always a feeling, just like love. It's a choice. 

So we blared the Christmas music and danced all about. My baby brother even waltzed me around the kitchen.  (Okay, he is 8 now. He'll always be my "baby brother" though. ;) ) 

So yes. I had a much better evening with my family. 

But is that it? 

Through out this month as I have been reading through the gospels, I have been struck again and again by the overwhelming beauty of Christmas

The humility and beauty of the Creator becoming like the created in every respect and yet without sin.
The overwhelming love of the Lover of our Souls calling the filthy sinners of this world, His brothers and sisters.
The unfathomable grace of the Savior and Redeemer in clothing His beloved in His wedding garments of righteousness that can never be earned. 

Truly, He is the Son of God. 
Sent to redeem our souls. 
In His great mercy,
 at the right time, 
He died for the ungodly
and makes us His own. 

  Jesus is the reason for this season; and every season. 
     Let us come and worship and bow down before the Lord our God, our Maker.
Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty.


Merry Christmas!

Comments